History1 History2 History3
  
 

Our History


Catholic Education

Historical Connections

The Diocese of Parramatta has some of the oldest schools in Australia. St Patrick's at Parramatta and Parramatta Marist College both have links to the very first Catholic School in the colony, established by Fr John Therry in Hunter Street, Parramatta in 1820. St Matthew's Primary at Windsor, established in 1835, still serves its community and is the oldest existing Catholic school in Australia.


Catholic Education Office – Diocese of Parramatta

The Catholic Education Office Diocese of Parramatta operates 82 Catholic systemic schools in the diocese (56 primary, 22 secondary and 4 early learning centres) with a total student population of over 43,000 students.


The story of our Catholic Early Learning Centres

Catholic Early Learning Centre Blessed John XXIII Parish – Stanhope Gardens

The Catholic Education Office identified Blessed John XXIII Parish precinct as the most suitable site to establish the first Catholic Early Learning Centre (CELC) within the Diocese of Parramatta.

In March 2009, the first 40 place Catholic Early Learning Centre at the Blessed John XIII Parish, Glenwood-Stanhope Gardens was opened for children aged 3-6 years of age.

CELC Blessed John XIII Parish services a fast growing community within a newly developed area and it also serves the Glenwood community. CELC Blessed John XIII Parish is part of the ground-breaking learning community based in the Blessed John XXIII Parish of Glenwood-Stanhope Gardens.


Catholic Early Learning Centre Holy Family Parish - Emerton

Holy Family Preschool was purpose built in 1968. The Schoenstatt Sisters managed the 39 place preschool service until 1988 to support a very needy and rapidly growing community.

From 1989 to April 2009 Holy Family Preschool operated under the auspices of Holy Family Parish at Emerton-Mount Druitt.

At the request of the Diocese, the Catholic Education Office – Diocese of Parramatta took on the auspice of the Preschool from Holy Family Parish Emerton. This change in auspice provides the Catholic Early Learning Centre, Holy Family Parish (formerly known as Holy Family Preschool) with extensive support services through the Catholic Education Office.

The Catholic Early Learning Centre (CELC) Holy Family Parish at Emerton serves the lowest SES area within the Diocese of Parramatta, providing preschool services to a significant number of indigenous families and socially and financially disadvantaged families.


Catholic Early Learning Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish – Greystanes

Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish Preschool was built and run by the Dominican Sisters of Malta from 1973 to serve the rapid growth of families in the Greystanes area. In the early 1980’s the Sisters of the Society of Saint Gerard Majella took on supporting the preschool service until 1994.

In 1995, the preschool was moved under the auspices of Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish and appointed a CELC Director and its staff to oversee the daily management of the service.

At the request of the Diocese, in January 2010, the Catholic Education Office – Diocese of Parramatta took on the auspice of the Preschool from Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish Greystanes. This change in auspice provides the Catholic Early Learning Centre Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish (formerly known as Our Lady Queen of Peace Preschool) with extensive support services through the Catholic Education Office.


Catholic Early Learning St Michael’s Parish – Blacktown South

In July 2011, the Catholic Education Office obtained a capital grant as a subsidy towards the establishment of the new 40 place CELC at St Michael’s Blacktown South.

The CELC officially opened on 27 February 2012 under new regulations and framework with an enrolment intake of approximately 100 students across the week.

The newly established CELC at St Michael’s Parish Blacktown South serves a community primarily of culturally diverse backgrounds where English is often a second language.

 
   
Hidden UpdatePanel, which is used to help with saving state when minimizing, moving and closing docks. This way the docks state is saved faster (no need to update the docking zones).